What is Udvartana?
In Sanskrit the word Udvartana means “to move something in an upward direction”. This refers to the upward direction of the strokes used during the massage. The brisk massage techniques combined with the penetrating herbs creates heat in the body to help decrease lethargy, release toxins, reduce fluid retention and increase circulation.
There are two types of Udvartana, and the ingredients used vary according to the condition:
Snigdha Udvartana – Ayurvedic Paste Massage
Ruksha Udvartana – Ayurvedic Powder Massage
- People on a weight loss or detoxification program
- People who are physically inactive
- Sluggish circulation and digestion
- Musculoskeletal and neuromuscular pain
- Conditions of stagnation, coldness and stiffness
- Aids the body’s elimination of wastes and toxins
- Helps with weight loss
- Stimulates the circulatory and lymphatic systems
- Exfoliates and conditions the skin and enhances skin tone
- Increases the tone and strength of muscles
- Improves mobility of the joints and limbs
- Balances tridosha
Price for Udvartana
$200 – 90 minutes
More massage treatments
Kalari Marma Massage
Kalari Marma Massage is an ancient south Indian warrior massage specially developed to treat and prevent injuries and pain-related conditions.
Shiro Abhyanga, commonly known as Ayurvedic Head Massage, involves massaging the head with warm herbalised oil to calm and balance your mind and nervous system.